Essential questions for this block: What does it mean to become naturalized? What are the necessary requirements one must have fulfilled in order to become a naturalized citizen of the United States? At the end of this block you must be able to give the definition of naturalization, list all requirements for the naturalization process, and list all of the steps in the naturalization process.
Requirements for Naturalization:
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing
- Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.
- lived for at least 3 months in the state where you apply.
- Continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years.
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
- Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
- Be a person of good moral character.
Steps in the Naturalization Process:
- Complete all requirements to become a U.S. citizen.
- Fill out proper form
- Complete the interview.
- Pass Basic English Test
- Pass Civics Test
- Take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States.