Recognize how Enlightenment ideas including Montesquieu’s view of separation of powers and John Locke’s theories related to natural law and how Locke’s social contract influenced the Founding Fathers.
When mastered you will be able to:
- Identify and describe the Enlightenment ideas of separation of powers, natural law, and social contract.
- Examine how Enlightenment ideas influenced the Founders’ beliefs about individual liberties and government.
- Evaluate the influence of Montesquieu’s and Locke’s ideas on the Founding Fathers.
Questions to think about:
- What role did the Enlightenment ideas contribute to major decisions of the Founding Fathers?
- How would you compare and contrast the theories of Locke and Montesquieu?
- How did Enlightenment ideas impact the Founding Fathers’ beliefs regarding individual liberties?
Terms you may not know:
checks and balances a principle of the federal government, according to the U.S. Constitution, that allows each branch of government to limit the power of the other branches
consent of the governed an agreement made by the people to establish a government and abide by its laws
Enlightenment a period in European history when many educated people stressed the importance of learning and reasoning; education was considered the key to understanding and solving society’s problems
individual liberty a person’s ability to be free and independent
influence having an effect or impact on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of another or others
natural law laws passed by government to protect natural rights
natural rights the belief that individuals are born with basic rights that cannot be taken away by governments; life, liberty, and property
separation of powers the structure of the federal government, according to the U.S. Constitution, that sets up three branches with their own distinct powers and responsibilities
social contract an implied agreement among the people of an organized society that defines the rights, duties, and limitations of the governed and the government
4) I know how the philosophies of the enlightenment thinkers influenced the founding fathers
3) I know what philosophies are associated with which enlightenment thinker
2) I can Identify the the key people and understand the meanings of the key terms
1) I can Identify the the key people and understand the meanings of the key terms with help